Sunday, March 23, 2014

Happy Spring/New Year!!

Now I'm not the biggest fan of spring due to all my allergies making its way back into my nose again, but nevertheless I still love it. If you don't already know the Iranian New Year lands on the first day of spring-Eid/Nowrooz. Being persian, this is my favorite holiday because it means setting up a beautiful table, spending time with family, and for the younger ones- money!!







































This year I went to my grandparents house and saw how traditional and beautiful their table looked. For those of you who don't know, the persian table required 7 things that start with the letter 'S', also known as Haft Seen, and each item represents something. On the table, you'll see a mirror, apples, candles, Golab (rose water), Sabzeh (wheat or barely sprouts), goldfish, and painted eggs. We keep our table like this for 13 days. When 13 days are up, we have a ceremony called Sizdah Be-dar, which means we spend a day outside, preferably a big park, with family and friends and throw our Sabzeh (wheat or barely sprouts) out in a lake.

Now whenever it comes to new years, you're always supposed to get an entirely new outfit- new year, new outfit- who can argue with that?!? Now this year due to stupid college midterms, I didn't have time to go shopping, but I did have an outfit in mind that I had never worn before. I couldn't take a picture, but it was a recreation of Eleanor Calder's outfit at the KCA's.


To anyone persian reading this, Eide shoma moborak, happy new years and happy spring (:
xx









No comments:

Post a Comment